Who We Are
Founded in 1994, KIDS Center works together with law enforcement, medical providers, and social service agencies to create a supportive response to child abuse through a multi-disciplinary team approach.
This position is responsible for gathering caregiver history from families and conducting video-recorded forensic interviews of children (primarily aged 4-17). The information gathered will be synthesized in a written report that will require note-taking, writing, and editing. An interviewer should expect to be called as an expert witness to testify in court.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct sensitive, thorough, and forensically sound interviews.
- Obtain information in a forensically sound, neutral manner in compliance with the State of Oregon Forensic Interviewing Guidelines and other legal requirements for evidence.
- Provide support, primarily note-taking, to medical examiners during medical examinations.
- Gather comprehensive social history from parents/caregivers.
- Gather relevant background information and current investigation status reports from community partners.
- Demonstrate cultural competency and sensitivity to clients and families during the evaluation process.
- Compose reports with pertinent information gathered from caregivers during the social history and from the child during the interview.
- Work with the medical examiner to complete the assessment section of the report.
- Conduct post-evaluation debrief sessions with parents/caregivers. Provide pertinent educational materials to families and make recommendations for referrals to appropriate community services.
- Communicate recommendations to Family Support Specialists to follow-up with the family.
- Testify in grand jury and court as requested. Thorough preparation is expected.
- Participate in team case staffings and actively work toward team goals and organizational objectives.
- Participate in regular peer reviews.
- Keep informed on the latest child abuse issues and interviewing techniques, including training and continuing education. Conduct research on these topics as needed and/or requested.
- Participate in Medical Evaluation Team and All Staff meetings.
- Conduct trainings and/or participate in public speaking engagements related to forensic interviewing as requested.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field
- Five (5) years of direct experience.
- Ability to relate to children and adults of all ages, races, ethnicities, and socio-economic backgrounds as well as professionals across multiple disciplines and individuals in crisis situations.
- Comfortable with technology, including video recording equipment.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively function on a team.
- Demonstrated ability to produce legible, accurate and timely written reports.
- Capacity for empathy.
- Ability to self-direct.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Bilingual in Spanish.
KIDS Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A state of Oregon criminal background check and a department of Human Services Child Welfare background check is required for employment at KIDS Center and will be completed for finalists.
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Justice policy, this organization is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, religion, sex, or age.